This is a letter in solidarity with staff and students at Halesowen College Birmingham from student activists across the UK involved in
the National campaign against fees & cuts, it will be handed to students & staff at Halesowen College.
On December 20th Dave Muritu, a known Birmingham socialist trades union activist and Halesowen College UCU chair, was sacked from his position as Maths lecturer. This followed disregard of the college disciplinary procedure (no evidence was presented 3 days in advance of the hearing), without anything other than deductive reasoning (his sacking was linked to results, with no regard for competency procedure or accurate review of statistical significance (his results are above national average). As the College have not submitted any evidence of any wrong doing by Dave Miritu the only logical conclusion which can be drawn is that he was targeted for trade union work. As if to confirm this now three more Maths Lecturers from the College, all of them active UCU members, face disciplinary procedures and the imminent possibility of dismissal.
We encourage everyone to sign this petition in defence of Dave Muritu, and show solidarity with the Halesowen College UCU as they face this attack on unionism. http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/halesowen-college-reinstate-david-muritu-as-a-maths-lecturer-at-the-college
It reported that UCU members at the college have voted unanimously for strike, this is excellent. In situations like this when the management have refused to listen to any reasonable dialogue and have unilaterally fired and excellent lecturer actions like strikes are
only thing that could possibly defend the 4 Lecturers. Ideally students at the College will organise protests and occupations to
support any staff strikes. We have activists and legal advisors based in Birmingham who can provide resources and advice to any students at Halesowen who want to get something organised, if you are a student at Halesowen College Please feel free to contact us at
Further if we are called on by local activists we are willing to come down on mass from across the country to support you. We will if called on organise national demonstration to March on Halesowen College with hundreds of activists in solidarity with Halesowen College 4!
1)Roshni Joshi, NUS national executive committee (FE place), NCAFC National Committee
2) Rosie Huzzard, PCS DWP Sheffield Branch Chair and NCAFC National Committee
3) Micheal Chessum, University of London Student Union President, NCAFC National Committee, NUS national executive
4) Daniel Cooper, University of London Student Union Vice President, NCAFC National Committee
5) Hannah Webb, University College London Union Community Officer, NCAFC National Committee
6) James McAsh, Edinburgh University Students’ Association President, NCAFC National Committee
7) Simon Furse, VP Education University of Birmingham Guild of Students, NCAFC National Committee
8) Edd Bauer, NCAFC Secretariat
9) Max Crema, VP Services Edinburgh University Students’ Association, NCAFC Secretariat
10) Sean Farmelo, Comunity Action officer University of Birmingham Guild of Students
11) Mike Shaw, Edinburgh University Students’ Association Student Council Editor, NCAFC NC
12) Edmund Schluessel, NCAFC national Committee UCU Wales Council
13) Andrew Tindall, NCAFC National Committee