Bolton University Student Union has called for an emergency demo to defend its right to exist. The university management have unconstitutionally suspended the union’s President, with no democratic input from students, and have taken over running of the organisation themselves.
Assemble at 5pm on Monday 11th June at The University
Below is a list of demands that the demonstration has been called over. For more background, check out this report
- We are calling for the immediate removal of the Universities governor (known as the Cheif Operating Officer) that is currently running the Students’ Union! As a result of this undemocratic action, the suspension of our elected president has unconstitutionally been enforced, so student cases are hidden away and not dealt with!!
- Students elected the President! only the student should have the right to remove their President!
- We are calling for the recent HR report to be circulated to all trustees and not just kept amongst the Externals. Trustees should all be equal! currently some external trustees have more say over student trustees.
- We are calling for the immediate withdrawal of the intimidating security guards that have been put outside/ inside our Union by the University which is stoping students from wanting to enter the Students Union.
- We want good governance to be practiced at the SU by seeking assistance from NUS, neighbouring Unions and without any interference from the University because SU’s are meant to be run by students for students, not run or controlled by the University.
- We demand for our right to carry out student union campaigns without interference from the University such as Student rights campaigns etc.
- We demand a good time frame on student complaints to be established via good policy development.
- We want more funding for student activities and more resources to be injected in academic facilities such as computers and a more accessible library.
- We want all areas of the University to be made accessible to students with disabilities.
- We want to establish policies that protect international students during their time at UoB, so the University delivers exactly what they have promised.
- We want more funding injected in sports and societies.
- We demand the University to become more internationalised so overseas students are not isolated due to the lack of the institutes cultural awareness.
- We demand elected officers to be able to carry out their individual duties without being penalised by the University for helping students the best they can.
- We demand the Union to be run as members request and the Union to caters for the majority.
- We demand direct contact with our elected officers so communication channels to be restored immediately.
- We demand for more support and better treatment for our part-time and mature students!