Please sign this statement by emailing teneleventen@gmail.com

We need unity to break the Con-Dems’ attacks
Stand with the protesters against victimisation

Wednesday’s national NUS/UCU 50,000-strong national demonstration was a magnificent show of strength against the Con-Dems’ savage attacks on education. The Tories want to make swingeing cuts, introduce £9,000 tuition fees and cut EMA. These attacks will close the doors to higher education and further education for a generation of young people.

During the demonstration over 5,000 students showed their determination to defend the future of education by occupying the Tory party HQ and its courtyards for several hours. The mood was good-spirited, with chants, singing and flares.

Yet at least 32 people have now been arrested, and the police and media appear to be launching a witch-hunt condemning peaceful protesters as “criminals” and violent.

A great deal is being made of a few windows smashed during the protest, but the real vandals are those waging a war on our education system.

We reject any attempt to characterise the Millbank protest as small, “extremist” or unrepresentative of our movement.

We celebrate the fact that thousands of students were willing to send a message to the Tories that we will fight to win. Occupations are a long established tradition in the student movement that should be defended. It is this kind of action in France and Greece that has been an inspiration to many workers and students in Britain faced with such a huge assault on jobs, benefits, housing and the public sector.

We stand with the protesters, and anyone who is victimised as a result of the protest.

Initial signatories include (all in a personal capacity):
Mark Bergfeld, NUS NEC
Ashok Kumar, Vice-President Education LSE
Vicki Baars, NUS LGBT Officer women’s place
Sean Rillo Raczka, Birkbeck SU Chair and NUS NEC (Mature Students’ Rep)
Nathan Bolton, Campaigns Officer Essex SU
James Haywood, Campaigns Officer Goldsmiths College SU
Steve Hedley, London regional organiser RMT
Wanda Canton, Women’s Officer QMUL
Michael Chessum, Education and Campaigns Officer UCL SU
Jade Baker, Education Officer Westminster Uni SU
Dan Swain, Essex Uni SU Postgrad Officer

To add your name or organisation email teneleventen@gmail.com
See the blog at teneleventen.wordpress.com
Facebook group here.

About Admin

Comments

1. Simon Mair says:

Lancaster University Greens Gen. Sec.

2. carl morris says:

hey all this is what there doing about cuts is crap lol but is there guna be a march today if so i need to go to the next one because of wat police did to my bro when he tried to do summin about dis so if anyone cant txt me the next london march were it will be and when it would be allot thanks 07818095594

3. Claire Mulrenan says:

We need progressive taxation – do not put the burden of the debt on the younger generations. Tax avoidance is costing the government billions of pounds a year – close this gap and avoid cuts to education. Higher education enriches our society – do not make it a privilege of the rich.

4. Laurie Gerrharrdt says:

I was there and I stand by the people who are fighting to keep education a RIGHT.

5. Monica Love says:

Victimising small groups is so that the police can justify their ridiculous actions and as they are stating their embarrassment over having been ‘unprepared’, not foreseeing the scale of the protest, make amends for this in the eyes of the media by arresting a handful of the ‘violent students’; the claimed culprits. Anyone that was there knows that all groups were united, there can be no scapegoats that can hold the blame for us all. Perhaps it was foolish to have smashed a few windows and turned this into a ‘violent protest’ in the eyes of the media, as maybe our real message has been lost slightly through the media’s manipulation of photos and film.

6. Hello. I completely support your movement and believe more people from other areas will join you soon.

Here is the comment I’ve sent to Telegraph last night.

The Government has been riding on our backs for far too long. Yet, we still vote for whatever party. What the people may not know is that the Governments are the Corporations, which have the power to extort as much money from the powerless public by deception, corruption and fraud to benefit themselves and the rich. They try to isolate people from one another, in case we disagree with the rules imposed up on us and decide to demonstrate. Another one is to create fear by either financial burden (in the form of a debt) or turning the country into a military and police state. In other words, we have become the slaves of the masters. For the past few years the abuse of the nation has intensified dramatically.
    I am in my 50s with four children, two of which are looking forward to high education.
    Today is the day of bravery and honour against the totalitarianism and I am proud that there are people still left to stand up for their rights.
    Despite some violence reported by the media “ propaganda”, to drive the attention away from the main issue, my heart is with the students. Who cares about the smashed window or an injured police, when millions of people’s lives have been undermined and used in such a way that there is hardly any hope left, particularly for future generation.
    This is just the beginning and the so called “masters” know that, and scared of the massive uprising, yet to come from all directions. The people of this country need a decent, loving humane leader who not only listens to his people but does everything for the people’s benefit.

7. Hi

I am a mature student graduating in 2011 from a Scottish university so will not be affected by the fee’s. I consider it would have been a fairer system to have looked more seriously at the graduate tax and would have been happy to pay an extra percent or two scaled to earnings above certain levels.

I consider the only reason the liars in whitehall did not consider it is in order to introduce a tax they would probably have had to tax all graduates whether you graduated in 1960 or 2025 which I believe would have been fair after all the politicians putting up the fee’s all benefit from a completely free and living grant funded university education. And it is because it would have affected their freebie based gravytrain lifestyle so that is why they choose to make future students pick up the bill for their lavish lifestyles.

Keep fighting become just as active as exaples from France etc… the oft lie given is that only peaceful Ghandi like protest works look it got us out of India. Wel it didn’t get the empire out of the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Belize, South Africa or many others so it could easily be argued that Ghandi was the exception that proved the rule.

8. Noëmie Duhaut says:

Material damage done to conservative HQ is nothing compared to life damage which is about to be done to the generations to come.

9. Good on them! Something has to be done, I don’t think the violence we saw that day reflected the extreme violence of the cuts that the Coalition is inflicting on students, and the country.

10. Raising tuition fees by 200% is a joke and needs to be stopped

11. Samuel Smith-Stanley says:

OMG

12. Using gmail is a really bad idea. gmail readily hand over info like ip addresses to the police.

There are plenty of non-corporate, safer email providers like riseup or safe-mail.

13. Whatever gets attention needs to be done and if it means young people are starting to show that they care about their future then this is the time for some true voices to be heard.

A supportive teacher

14. Leanne Dorn says:

Finally, people are starting to challenge the coalition. Can we ever live in an equal society when only the rich have opportunities? Liberal Democrats should feel pretty ashamed of themselves.

15. Enough of these tory SCUM!

16. Particularly well done to those within the NUS prepared to show solidarity and support militant actions – makes a change from the spineless ones that join in with the mindless tabloid condemnations.

17. Against resentment.

18. ian Baldry says:

I was so disapointed with the NUS spokesperson; instead of condeming the protestors he should have said “this is what happens after generations of protestors have been ignored.” The last time there was a successfull protest was the Poll Tax Riots.

19. ian Baldry says:

The Telegraph has set up a “CATCH THESE VIOLENT LEFT-WING STUDENTS” campaign. Here’s their email address. I’m sure they’d appreciate lots and lots and lots and lots of emails: studentriots@telegraph.co.uk

20. “The mood was good-spirited” – blood, fire etc. good spirited? Fuck off.

21. My partner and I really enjoyed reading this blog post, I was just itching to know do you trade featured posts? I am always trying to find someone to make trades with and merely thought I would ask.

22. M. Holliday says:

I received a grant to study when I was younger. I have a Btec, Degree, Ma and a PGCE ( teaching qualification) I am not in debt and have always been proud of the fact that I do not owe anyone anything. The qualifications I have, have literally changed my life! I could go into detail but this is not the place. I self disclosed to students a number of times about my background in order to encourage them to learn and improve their own circumstances! Now this is the thing…….. I cannot imagine the stress that will be/is caused from owing the sort of money that the Government is talking about. How many young people will be put off studying?. Many of the students that I teach and have taught cannot afford to amass such a a debt. For many they are the first generation to study at a University. This is an example of politicians not living in the REAL world! Now please tell me why I and many other people shouldn’t be angry!!! Do let me know cause I am livid!!!!!!!! BTW I am so proud of everyone that attended the protest not riot from where I was standing it was jovial and good natured.

23. M. Holliday says:

I received a grant to study when I was younger. I have a Btec, Degree, Ma and a PGCE ( teaching qualification) I am not in debt and have always been proud of the fact that I do not owe anyone anything. The qualifications I have, have literally changed my life! I could go into detail but this is not the place. I self disclosed to students a number of times about my background in order to encourage them to learn and improve their own circumstances! Now this is the thing…….. I cannot imagine the stress that will be/is caused from owing the sort of money that the Government is talking about. How many young people will be put off studying?. Many of the students that I teach and have taught cannot afford to amass such a a debt. For many they are the first generation to study at a University. This is an example of Politicians not living in the REAL world! Now please tell me why I and many other people shouldn’t be angry!!! Do let me know because I am livid!!!!!!!! BTW I am so proud of everyone that attended the Protest not Riot… from where I was standing it was jovial and good natured.

24. I was there, at Millbank and it really felt like apathy was finally over, that something was being done, that people cared again… whether this has an impact on the proposed legislation or not it showed our anger and hopefully opened the door to something bigger, fiecer and ultimately productive.

25. Hi comrades….just an info: the next demo on cuts and solidarity for the arrested students is this thursday 18th november?

26. I am a teacher and I paid my uni fees but they were nothing like the amounts that have been bandied about by the Tories. If fees need to be paid, then they must be affordable. I also have looked at the figures and have found:

The Deficit is £156 billion

Benefit fraud costs £2 billion a year

Ord fraud including tax evasion of £15 billion, costs £30 billion a year

Uncollected taxes stand at £500 million

Cuts were set at £6 billion

There is absolutely no need for any cuts at all! If tax evasion were to be fixed, for instance, there’d be more money than necessary to make up the £6 billion.

The electorate has been sold a pack of lies.

27. Lancaster uni had a great protest today. More unis should follow!

28. Clair Firth says:

student finance is’nt free, as a student I am in great debt, but I took it on, hoping that eventually there will be a job that will suit me, with an income that will pay my student debt off, in a position that I will enjoy and take on fully. What happened to putting money into the future, or when I finish my degree, and get that job that will pay back the loans I have taken on. I went to university to improve my children and my future, but when my children leave high school, will I have the money to send them on further education, seems not, so then my child if they take the option will be in massive debt to reach their potential, what’s the incentive to educate ones self.

29. I have the same opinion with most of your points, but some need to be discussed further, I will hold a small talk with my buddies and maybe I will look for you some opinion soon.

– Henry

30. John and Catherine says:

The media and our esteemed mis-leaders condemn “violence” as the work of extremists. They in fact provoke violence deliberateley in order to ensure the nullyfying of our protests. This is why it is absolutely paramount that violence DOES NOT take place, regardless of how angry we feel or how much provocation is done. Learn form Mahatma Ghandi about peaceful protest. It was not about not being violent it was about rising above because we are above those petty creeps who steal a few million from us and give thousands of millions to their mates, the bankers. They just “suddenley” found another ( billion for the Irish banks and yet they said only a few weeks ago there was no money left. We no longer listen to their lies so don’t take any note of their provocation.

31. Pretty impressive article. I just stumbled upon your site and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your opinions. Any way I’ll be coming back and I hope you post again soon.

32. “Man is not the sum of what he has but the totality of what he does not yet have, of what he might have.” Jean-Paul Sartre

33. In case you hadn’t been notified some of your images aren’t loading right.

34. We are a group of volunteers and starting a new project in our community. Your site provided us with valuable information to help us get started|.You have done an impressive job!

35. I agree with some of the points you’ve made. Other are not that obviously correct for me. Keep up the good work.

36. Really nice blog

37. It seems my searching proved fruitful in that I came across your intriguing article while hunting for posts discussing life in the US. I operate a small dental practice in Spring, Texas. You could say I’m the Spring TX dentist. Keep up the good work with your blog.

38. I rather enjoyed browsing your Sign this statement to stand with the Millbank protesters against victimisation! — National Campaign Against Fees and Cuts write-up. We are completely new to using Wp as well as blogging, would be thankful if you looked at our webpage.Thanks

39. Austin Harney says:

As Secretary of Barnet Trades Union Council and a PCS Union Representative, I am appalled by the government’s latest attempy to further increase Students’ fees and cut the EMA. No doubt, this policy will discourage many young people from seeking further education and increase the skills shoratge in our economy. Owing to the crisis caused by the bankers and the minimum of £120 billion not paid in tax each year by private businesses and wealthy individuals, the majority of the younger generation and the working population have to suffer the punishment. If this policy continues, we will return to the days of Victorian poverty when education was only for the rich. Education is a right, not a privilege!

40. day of the dead traditions,

41. I really like your article. It is evident that you have a great deal understanding on this subject. Your points are well created and relatable. Thanks for writing engaging and fascinating material.
    Found this on Yahoo and I’m happy I did

42. I have not checked in here for some time because I thought it was getting boring, but the last few posts are great quality so I guess I will add you back to my daily bloglist. You deserve it my friend 🙂

43. Fantastic post, i haven’t had the privileged to read the book yet, is it an essential do you think. My list of “must reads” is continuously growing so don’t want to add books that are not necessarily fantastic.